As two of the most highly sought after steel grades on the market,many questions come up between the differences in 1018 and A36 steel.How different is A36 from 1018?Are they equivalent material grades?Let's take a look at the differences between them.
1018 can come in cold drawn or hot rolled forms,but it is frequently purchased as a cold drawn product.We'll assume 1018 is in its cold drawn state in this comparison.It typically comes in bar form in various sizes and shapes.1018 steel is a mild low carbon steel with good ductility,toughness and strength qualities.1018 steel can be easily welded using most welding processes.Capital Steel & Wire for example makes 1018 cold drawn bar in square,hexagon,round and flat bar shapes and can cut it in any specified length.
ASTM A36 steelis one of the most widely manufactured grades of steel,as it has many different applications across many industries.Like 1018,it can be hot rolled or cold drawn, but is typically hot rolled.So again,in this comparison,we'll assume A36 is hot rolled.It comes in many different bar shapes including squares,rounds, rectangles,and is also often manufactured into channels,angles,I-Beams and H-Beams.It is also commonly manufactured as a steel plate product.
Chemically, A36 and 1018 are very similar.
|Phosphorus, P (max)||0.04%||0.04%|
|Sulfur, S (max)||0.05%||0.05%|
Whether steel is hot rolled or cold drawn has a significant impact on the mechanical properties as noted in the table below.
|Tensile Strength||58,000 psi||63,000 psi|
|Yield Strength||36,300 psi||53,700 psi|
|Elongation (50 mm)||20%||15%|
1018 steel is used over A36 for applications that require machining,because it responds to machining fairly well.1018 is most commonly used in high volume screw machine parts including shafts,spindels,pins and rods.A36 is often used as a mass steel product for the industrial and construction industries for making buildings,bridges,railroads,oil rigs and more.A36 is easy to weld with any standard welding methods,and with lower yield strengths than 1018,it is easier to bend.
Because cold drawing steel is more labor intensive and time intensive,the price of hot rolled products is significantly less than cold drawn.For products that do not require higher quality finishes and high strength and machinability characteristics,A36 makes a lot more sense than 1018 simply for the reduced cost alone.
As you can see,the mechanical and chemical properties of 1018, the machinability and the surface finish of 1018 steel are all superior to A36.However,the big advantage of A36 is the overall cost.When deciding between the two steels,take into consideration the end application and the quantity that you will need.
If you need any info or price details on steel plate of Q235A,Q235B or equivalent steel standard ASTM A36 and SS400, don't hesitate to send a message now!
- baosteel 304l hot rolled finish stainless steel plate
- foshan china stainless steel sheet 201
- prime quality a572 grade 50 steel plate
- 1 6mm stainless steel stainless steel mesh plate
- china best company sae 1030 cs hot rolled steel plate prices
- grade a marine abs class steel plate
- china sa202 grade b steel plate
- s355j2 n mild carbon steel sheet
- hot rolled steel plates for building structure sn400
- trim edge astm a240 316ln stainless steel plate
- black stainless steel plate in 2mm thickness
- wholesale 440b stainless steel coil free samples
- plate clips kitchen clips stainess steel plate clips
- 06 mm steel plate api5l x52
- sus302 304 stainless steel sheet
- 1 0533 carbon steel plate
- p690ql1 steel plate size
- building materials hot dip steel coil plates
- super stockist 316 stainless steel sheet per ton steels
- jis swrh62b carbon steel plate
- what is jis sma400bp weather resistant plate
- ss304 2b finish stainless plate sheet
- lr grade aq70 datasheet
- cold rolled dx51d steel sheet from shanghai katalor
- asme sa533 gr b steel plate price